7.31.2008

Green Yoga

It seems like green has reached a tipping point. I hear this word so often lately. What is "green"? Well, grass is green, and so are trees. So it has something to do with nature, hmmm. I like nature, really I love it. Since I was a little kid living by a lake outside of town, it has been delightful. Tadpoles, crawdads, skeletons and petri dishes peppered my childhood. Most people do love it, don't they? Unfortunately some children today are losing touch with backyards rapidly, some even fear the great outdoors. Richard Louv writes about this distressing trend in his book, Last Child in the Woods.
As I contemplate my garden outside, I think of those pesky mosquitos and how I wish they weren't biting me. But that is the point, isn't it, that every part of nature has a niche, and therefore has value. We can't decide what stays and goes. These elfin arthropods feed a lot of birds and spiders, which help control other insect populations. So, what can we really do to preserve and protect our green lady? Reuse, reinvent, recycle, recreate, reap the benefits of mother nature without harming her. Are you wondering what this has to do with yoga yet?
Well, quite a bit actually, according to Georg and Brenda Feuerstein. They wrote the book, Green Yoga. In fact, there is an entire Green Yoga Association. Their description in the link is a fascinating analogy between yoga and the earth itself. This reminds me of the biology-based theory that treats the world as a living being, most commonly known as The Gaia Hypothesis. It was first introduced by James Lovelock (an independent research scientist who had done work at NASA) in the 60s. This is a thought provoking idea that has support world-wide.
Honestly, what I can say in my experience is that yoga is a method that builds respect and trust, in and out. We must listen to our body, as we honor and accept what it can handle. Someone that has done a headstand (or several other poses as well) knows this delicate line that exists in yoga, between exertion and simplicity. Much like this, we can realize the world exists in such a fragile balance. It seems to follow that trust and respect will serve to strengthen earth, and a lack of listening will do the opposite.
If you're interested in Kansas City's local movement, you should definitely check out the newly renovated Sandstone Amphitheatre. They have torn out the seats so every concert-goer is on the same page. The folks out there are recycling, rewarding carpooling, and have a slew of other ideas to make it eco-friendly. I plan to enjoy this green glow as we watch a concert there coming up in August. I hope you'll check it out too!
~~Kat



1 comment:

Emily Morris said...

Kat, I enjoyed your thoughts on Green Yoga. I was sitting here, reading it... itching my mosquito bites on my ankles... and then had to smile. :) Suddenly the itch wasn't as bad. Thanks for reminding me to marvel and appreciate the balance of life. Yoga, off of the mat. -Emiy

Springtime

Springtime 4.29.22 Oh the long and dreay winter Makes me feel a little bitter I wait for blue skies and green everywhere Buds aplenty nothin...